News for 8/23/22
Back to School Bash
Join us at the American Legion in Kensington on Sunday, August 28 from 11:00am to 1:00pm for the annual Thunder Ridge “Back to School Bash”. Serving roast pork, party potatoes, green beans, rolls and dessert. TR apparel will be available for order. All orders must be prepaid.
Old Fashioned Saturday a Success
Kensington was popping Saturday with all the terrific activities planned by our awesome Commercial/Community Club. It took lots of time and great efforts to make this day a success with something fun for everyone. There were 24 participants for the barn quilt painting class. Pictured below are Connie Bienhoff and her daughters Megan Broeckelman and Emily Levin with completed projects.
Breckyn McDowell is proud of her project too.
Pasture Golf and Yard games were provided for adults while TFC provided outside games for the teens as well. The kiddie parade with the theme of “Down on the Farm” was a hit!
Kristal Rice pulling cowgirls Annamarie and Kenzie Glaze on their wagon.
“Little Farmers” Westyn and Racyn Dodds.
Thunder Ridge Cheerleaders and Sapphire Dancers provided performances for the evening entertainment.
Senior Trinity Coomes leading the little girls dance performance.
The annual Old Fashioned Saturday Night was held Saturday, August 20th hosted by Kensington Community/Commercial Club. The weather was beautiful and the day was filled with activities.
- The Sapphire Dancers sponsored the 5K fun run/walk. Winners of the 4 age divisions were: Greg Billings, Amy Slavik, Maycee Westbrook and Hannah Nelson.
- The Smith County Historical Society sponsored a barn quilt class. We had 23 participants in this event.
- SALS sponsored Pasture Golf. 1st place Ken and Dylan Tweedy. 2nd place: Justin Bretton and Don Dodds. 3rd Place: Justin Abbott and Nathan Larson
- The yard games had a great turnout. Winners in this event were: Sam Sage & Jeff Jarvis
- Thank you to TFC for sponsoring a youth event of 9 square and disk golf. Winners of disk golf were: Liam Corbett, Konner Wagenblast and Jacob Hendryx.
- There was a great crowd enjoying 1 last swim at the Kensington Swimming pool! Thank you to the City, Anne Abbott and her lifeguards for keeping the pool open for the Free Swim at the pool.
- Main street was full of people enjoying food from the vendors! Thanks to all who had a booth.
- "Down on the Farm" was the theme for the kiddie parade. There were about 25 entries. 1st place was the Kuhlmann Flock. 2nd Place was Bristol and Ella Bretton. 3rd Place was Ryker and Ainsley Whitney.
- Entertainment included High School cheer, little girls dance campers, middle school cheerleaders, and Sapphire Dancers. Mrs. Adams led the crowd in 2 folk dances and then we danced the night away to the street dance with music by Rockin' Thunder Music.
Kensington Community Commercial Club wants to thank those who sponsored events and food booths as well to all who came out and enjoyed the evening with us in Kensington. They welcome volunteers to join in the planning. Be sure to check their facebook page for meeting dates!
Grauerholz Reunion Potluck
The Family of the late Henry and Anna Grauerholz will hold their Annual Reunion with a potluck dinner on September 4, 2022, at Noon, at the St. John’s Lutheran Church Parish Hall in Kensington, Kansas. The Family of the late Elizabeth “Lizzie” Goll will be hosting the event this year.
Legion Friday Night
This week at the Kensington American Legion we will have a special of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, veg-all casserole, Texas toast, and dessert. We will have our regular menu items as well and our kitchen is open from 6-8pm. You can call 785-476-3204 for your order to be ready for pick up. Hope to see you Friday!
Kensington Library News
With Thunder Ridge schools now back in session, we have returned to school hours of operation. We will be open Mondays from 9am to 7pm, Tuesday through Friday from 9am to 4pm, and Saturday from 9am to 2pm. The courier service makes deliveries on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. We can order any materials from other libraries when we don’t have what you’re looking for.
The book club selection for this cycle includes: The Seat Beside Me by Nancy Moser; The Wedding Dress Sewing Circle by Jennifer Ryn; A Fire Sparkling by Julianne MacLean; Run, Rose Run by Dolly Parton & James Patterson; The Book Woman’s Daughter by Michele Richardson; The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes; The Reunion by Dan Walsh. The Ecumencial Book Club will next meet on Saturday, October 8, 2022.
Don’t forget, while you’re busy doubting yourself, someone else is admiring your strength.
Be proud of everything you've overcome this week. I know that things are not always easy, but you keep going and that's what makes you strong in who you are!
News items needed
Reminder: Please send your news to Erica at email@example.com (put NEWS in the subject line please!) by SUNDAY afternoon. To see the full, in-color edition, visit the Kensington website online at www.Kensingtonks.net.
P.S. I do try; there would be more news if the people I contact would actually get back to me with the information I ask for.
the Large chicks and little were Kuhlman Family won group award
Egg Toss and Dunk Tank